Every entrepreneur needs a WordPress blog. I have heard certain folks say it does not matter if you are using blogger or WordPress. It matters! In this post, we will be studying the first step.
Seriously, if you want to design your own blog or site as a businessperson in order to drive traffic to your business, the easiest and best platform to use is WordPress. The reason for this is the fact that you can achieve absolutely ANYTHING without learning or employing someone to code for you. There are numerous plugins to help you achieve anything when you have a WordPress Blog.
In this post, let us study the first step to take in designing your own WordPress blog or website. That first big step is to choose and register a domain name.
What is a domain name?
A domain name is your online address. It is what is typed on a browser to be able to get to you. For example, if I need to reach CNN on the internet, all I need to do is type www.cnn.com on a browser. If I need to reach Wikipedia, I would just get on a browser and type in www.wikipedia.org. And again, if Slideshare is where I want to go, I’d just type www.slideshare.net.
So, a domain name is a combination of your desired name and an extension that can be .com, .org, .net and so on. For the purpose of clarity, I will avoid all the technical terms as much as I can.
Is it just .com, .org and .net?
No! There are now many others. There is .career, .live, .email, .chat, .news, .video, .media, .me and many more. Many people have said that these other ones are really nice. But I always prefer .com because I feel that somehow, in one way or the other, .com has some advantage over all the rest. But that is mostly my opinion.
For example, what is the domain name of this website you are reading now? It is www.kingsleyaigbona.com. The “www” can be ignored sometimes meaning that we can simply write it as kingsleyaigbona.com. Kingsley is my name and Aigbona is my surname. Add that to www and put .com at the end, you have my domain name.
WWW means World Wide Web. That is where all the documents and information on the internet are stored. Your domain name and all the links that will be formed under it are called URLs. URL means Uniform Resource Locator.
How to get a domain name.
- Get on a domain registration website and run a search. Personally I use name.com. There are many popular domain registration websites. But I like name.com
- When you get to the website, type your desired name on the space provided for search. I have drawn a red arrow pointing to it in the image below.
- Click the search button.
- If the name is available as a .com, there will be a button asking you to “Add to Cart” meaning that you can buy it and use it. If it is not available (meaning that someone else is already using it), they will suggest that you use .net, .org or any other one.
A few considerations about choosing a domain name
- The domain name must be easy to spell
- It must be easy to pronounce
- It must represent your business or personal brand
As soon as you are happy with what name is available, click “Add to Cart” and proceed to checkout.
In the next post, we will discuss how to connect your domain to a hosting. OR I am considering putting the whole process of designing a WordPress blog or website in just one post!!! That will be nice, right? Watchout!!!
LEAVE A COMMENT
You are free to leave a comment below.